Laura Lucy's Reviews > Heart of the Matter

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

Jul 19, 11

Read in July, 2011

This is the second book by Emily Giffin I've read (first was Something Borrowed). I can't say I always enjoy them until I'm almost to the end. Her stories don't have the neat happy endings we're accustomed to in most chick lit.

Giffin tells the story of two women - one married, the other falling in love with her husband. The book alternates between the two women with each chapter told from a different perspective. One is told in first person, the other in third person. I found this method to be a very effective storytelling device.

I saw several other reviews that were negative because they found the female characters to be "weak". I didn't see it that way at all. I found the characters to be very realistic, which is probably why I felt pretty uncomfortable and irritated through much of the book. I can't say much more without giving too much away, but I definitely recommend this book. In the end, I really appeciate Giffin's skill in developing characters and sucking the reader in. I felt like I knew these people.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Matter.