Chibineko's Reviews > The Fifth Kingdom

The Fifth Kingdom by Caridad Piñeiro

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: carina-press, mystery, netgalley, sexy
Read from July 19 to 21, 2011

There's just something about books involving long lost treasures & historical mysteries that just lure me in. The promise of a steamy pairing doesn't hurt either. I got both, but I'll admit that this book was heavier on the steamy pairing than it was on the historical mystery. And I didn't mind a bit.

What made this book was the awesome pairing of Bill & Deanna. It's hot, it's tangible, & it's very easy to get wrapped up in. Piñeiro might have gone a little lighter on the anthropological side with this book, but she stepped it up with the romance. One of the more intriguing & inviting things of the romance here is that the gender roles are switched. Normally when it comes to initiating sex it's the man who takes charge, but in this book the women are the ones who are large & in charge. It's really a nice turn of pace to see a woman doing this.

The action scenes are tense and fast paced, but a good chunk of this book focuses on the romantic & emotional state of our two main characters. It might seem a little risky, but it does seem to work here. I really felt myself connect with Deanna, although I'll admit that at times I was a little impatient for the plot to shift towards the inevitable action & discovery scenes. This might result in some readers getting a little anxious to get to the action, but trust me- the first sex scene more than makes up for it. (Yowza!)

I really enjoyed Piñeiro's Aztec Gold & this is no exception. I'm really looking forward to the next book she puts out along these lines. Caridad Piñeiro has a wonderful way of bringing a scene to life that's really exciting.

4/5

(ARC provided by Netgalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Kingdom.

07/19/2011 page 43
20.48% "This is like literary candy! Love this book so far."
07/20/2011 page 79
38.0% "I was just beginning to think that the book was running a little slowly, then we get a sweet little scene like this one. :)"
07/20/2011 page 94
45.0% "Nice sexual dynamic between the two. It's interesting to see a pairing where the guy is actually the one being the one holding back due to emotions (so far, anyway). Deanna's good to go. XD"
07/20/2011 page 103
49.0% "Yowza! I uh, think I need to re-read that. For reviewing purposes. Yeah, that's the ticket! XD"
show 2 hidden updates…