Jinksb's Reviews > The Last Gunfight: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral--And How It Changed The American West

The Last Gunfight by Jeff Guinn

Aug 03, 11

Read from July 19 to August 03, 2011

I've always had a fascination for the post-Civil War west in general, and for Tombstone in particular. I've read the majority of the standard texts about the city and the era. I have to say that Guinn's book really put it all together for me. I finished it with a much better understanding of the social and political forces and personalities that made the gunfight inevitable.

If Guinn has an agenda, it doesn't show (well, other than believing that Tom McLaury went into the fight unarmed). He covers the major and minor players and their backgrounds, gets in all of the available "facts" (given the spin(s) witnesses and participants put on their statements at the time), and makes it entertaining, to boot.

I would definitely put this book on par with Marks' "And die in the West." I borrowed it from my public library, but I will be buying a copy for my personal collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Gunfight.