Lydia Presley's Reviews > Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady

Curse of the Blue Tattoo by L.A. Meyer

Jul 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, favorites, historic-fiction, young-adult
Read in July, 2011

I made the mistake of actually "reading" Bloody Jack (the first book) and this time chose to listen to the audio after reading an incredible amount of ravings over Katherine Kellgren. Let me tell you right now, the ravings were spot on.

Kellgren makes these books come alive. I laughed, cried, hooted and hollared right along with Jacky as she navigated the perils of becoming a "fine lady". I felt her longing for Jacky, her confusion at the rules and regulations of this new place she called home. I wanted to spit on my hand and join the Dread Sisterhood and to scheme along with her as she plotted to take down the evil Reverend.

While I certainly enjoyed reading the previous book, it did not come alive nearly as much as this book did. I'm NOT an audio book fan, normally - I like to read at my own pace and get impatient when I have to wait for someone else to get to the "good parts", but Katherine made every part of this book the "good part". I'm raving here - but her enthusiasm, spirit, accents, singing talents (the songs came alive so beautifully), emotion and just.. love shone through.

I'm a huge fan of these books now. This audiobook converted me and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to listen to a fantastic story - especially if you are wanting to entertain an entire car full of folk on trips. I cannot even imagine how much fun it would have been to listen to this in a group!

It's nearly impossible to talk just about the story and not about the audiobook, because they became one and the same - but I will say this. I found the story in The Curse of the Blue Tattoo to be filled with adventure, colorful characters, just a touch of improbability (The Lady Lenore's maker was.. well, I did roll my eyes) and to be a fantastic account of the misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Blue Tattoo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I have had the first book for over a year. I let a friend barrow it and she was not thrilled with it, so I was kind of put it off. After reading your review, I think I will have to pick it up soon:)

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Tucker Kellgren is a perfect reader for this series. Jackie is just not the same without her!

Lydia Presley Cindy wrote: "I have had the first book for over a year. I let a friend barrow it and she was not thrilled with it, so I was kind of put it off. After reading your review, I think I will have to pick it up soon:)"

I highly recommend the audio - seriously, Kellgren IS Jacky.

Lydia Presley Kristen wrote: "Kellgren is a perfect reader for this series. Jackie is just not the same without her!"

I know! She is fantastic - she performs the entire book!

message 5: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Lydia wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I have had the first book for over a year. I let a friend barrow it and she was not thrilled with it, so I was kind of put it off. After reading your review, I think I will have to pi..."

I will try that out:) Thanks!