Rattyfleef's Reviews > Toothless

Toothless by J.P. Moore

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: abandoned

Abandoned.

I couldn't like this as much as I wanted to. At times lyrical and wonderfully descriptive, the writing also suffers from over-use of filters and the occasional cliche. Oh look, a young fantasy heroine who suffers a near rape, never seen THAT before. :/ The story flags rather badly at the start of book 2, picks up briefly with one of Moore's splendid fight scenes, and sags again. A combination of packing, hunger, and growing boredom caused me to set this one aside.

I do plan to check out Moore's future work, though, as none of the flaws are unfixable and I quite enjoyed the earlier chunk of the book. tl;dr This one needed some tweaking and trimming but haven't given up on the writer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toothless.

07/18/2011 page 75
29.0% "Pg numbers approximate. Self-pubbed audiobook. Could do with a bit of tightening line-edit-wise, but I'm enjoying it. Print version available, I'll pick one up when I'm back from vacation."
07/28/2011 page 100
38.0% "Into part 2. POV shift. Writing is filtery-er and repetitive here; kinda bored."
07/28/2011 page 110
42.0% "New POV character is a little obviously a cipher for writer's 'um now what' looking around and wondering"
07/28/2011 page 262
100.0% "*sigh* Giving up midway. Story is flagging and I have packing to do."