Zuleeza's Reviews > Hereafter

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: debut-author-read-in-2012
Read from January 04 to 07, 2012

This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

*Sigh* I really hate it when I have to read a book in many sittings. I can't be sure if the book was indeed not that good or the gap between the sittings made me losing my interest. The book started so well, I think the first four chapters were the best starter I've read so far. It was sharp, well-paced and deep with emotions.

After Chapter 4, it was...well...okay for me. Some of the scenes truly entertained me such as the differential equations incident. Some of the other scenes, for instance when Amelia went to Joshua's bedroom was more like a fanservice for me. I bet most of the readers squealing in their sit while reading that part *wink2*

Up until the climax, the author effortlessly offered adequate explanation for Amelia's nature and ability that I can read this with a peace of mind. But when it got to the climax, all hell broke loose. I was like what?

You know when a character is simmering, it's not a good sign! (except Clara from Unearthly...mind my biasness) *cough* Edward *cough*

Amelia was a cute, innocent character, I think. She can be stupid sometimes. But I guess she had the right personality to be a ghost from 1999. Joshua? He could be nosebleeding-inducing guy sometimes. Some of his lines, like

"See? Good vocabulary. 'Patronizing' has four syllables"

"Just because I can't do differential equations, it doesn't mean I'm totally useless"

were very witty. But other that that, he was not that special of a character.

I'm a bit confused with Eli. Probably the author tried to conjure Eli as a complex character, evil but the readers would feel for him as they got to know him further. For me, while the events in this book were influenced heavily by his doing some way or another, I didn't find him as a believable character. The reason behind his evilness was somewhat laughable. He couldn't be THAT immature right? He should be a sicko, you see. A stalker...obsessed for Amelia. But I seriously feel like he was just an outdated rock star who like to prank people! He was really not at all scary.

The whole Amelia-is-a-beautiful-girl was very cheesy as well.

The truth is, I really think this book is better as a stand-alone book. I found the idea of Seer as very messy. It reminds me a lot of Beautiful Creatures series. I don't know...contrary to the plethora of vampire, werewolf, witch and angel, I feel that the relationship between the living and the dead should be the simplest, purest love, where the only way for them to be together is death. I secretly wish Joshua to sacrificed himself in the epilogue so that he can be together with Amelia. Hate me people! I know I'm not the most optimist person in the universe!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hereafter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Larissa :) Totally agree with you on reading a book in many sittings...aboslutely loathe it :)
and really good review..... lol love your wish for Joshua to have sacrificed himself :0 Have not heard that one yet :P

Larissa :) oops the :O was meant to be a :)... my bad :)

Zuleeza Haha...I'm certain not many fans would agree with me though.

Larissa :) Haha you may be right :P