Samantha Heare's Reviews > They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group

They Called Themselves the K.K.K. by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Jul 28, 11

liked it
Read from July 18 to 25, 2011

This book was a YALSA Non-fiction award nominee for 2011, and as Jennifer said, it is an extremely detailed accounting of the formation of the KKK, and their terrorizing tactics that for too long were often look at with a blind eye down in the South. The historical photographs, illustrations, original newspaper articles / illustrations, and first person testimonial truly bring to life the fact that discrimination and racism was alive and well long after the Civil War ended, and witnessing them bring the reader to a level of understanding that could not be achieve otherwise. The writing was clear and informative, although I would have preferred a bit more organization with the chapter titles. I also have to say that checking this book out at the library and being seen by teenagers doing so, made me feel the desire to explain that I had to read the book for a class that I truly had no personal desire to read about the KKK. I felt guilty, and I don’t know why. The subject matter leaves a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, and honestly I know that that is a good thing because reading and learning about these atrocities will insure that for at least this reader, she will do her part not to allow this type of behavior to be tolerated in her lifetime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Called Themselves the K.K.K..