Autumn's Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

F 50x66
Aug 20, 11

Read from August 07 to 11, 2011, read count: 1

I'm not exactly sure where I started to dislike this book.
I wanted to like this book. Mythology and YA novels are kind of my thing.
I started out not really liking it. But, awhile into the book, I started going "Oooo, I'm gonna love this." (Approx. page 43&44, where we get some plot going) and I really did like it for awhile.
It actually made me giggle during a few scenes, if I remember correctly. I really thought I'd end up liking it.
(view spoiler)
I was totally feeling it for a short time. I thought the transition between everyone's feelings was a bit fast, though. You would think someone would question their feelings a bit more. But so is the plight of the young adult novel. I mean, I know we got a few chapters of unkindly feelings, but once it's done for, it's just a 180 that got kind of 'eh'.
Oh, but I thought the Fates were very interesting. Very creepy. Very The Grudge.
Also liked the cestus's (plural?). I thought that was pretty cool.(view spoiler)
But, at the end, I actually found myself rolling my eyes. I NEVER roll my eyes. So I thought 'Wow, this is a first.' (I also whispered 'Dumbass' at some point. Again, another first, sorry Lucas.) I had to put the book away a few times when it started to annoy and become repetitive. Because after awhile, it seriously started reading like a fan fiction. It felt like all the good had been sucked out of the ending, leaving me feeling... just kind of done. I really didn't care much about what happened to the characters. They ended up feeling like cardboard cutouts.

Also, how old is Helen?

"Lower the boards down, it's time to move them," Cassandra called up to her father, as if she was the one in charge. Helen's eyes widened in shock that any fourteen-year-old would speak like that to her elders, let alone be obeyed."

Um, what century are you living in sweetie? That was one of those things I had to read and re-read.

(view spoiler)

The ending just felt completely rushed and paled in comparison to the few good scenes in the middle. I had high hopes, but it fell flat.

Summary: I didn't like it, then I liked it, then I really didn't like it. I had gotten three books, and I was really assuming I'd like this one the most, but it ended up being my least favorite.

I'm sorry, Angelini, I really wanted to love your book, but I just didn't. :(
P.S Also, after reading all of the food mentioned in this book, I really, really wanted Italian food.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.