Reut's Reviews > Love, Inc.

Love, Inc. by Yvonne Collins

Aug 10, 11

Read from August 01 to 03, 2011

How adorable is that cover? Seriously, there are all these little details and it's so cute.

Okay, so the idea for Love, Inc. is awesome. Three girls who have been tripled-timed by the same guy--including one of them he had been dating for two years--find out about his dealings on the side and take wicked revenge. People start hearing about Love, Inc. and since everyone has a job for them and let's face it, teenagers like getting paid--Love, Inc. becomes a real business.

Zahra, Kali, and Syd are all great characters. Sometimes they were a little cliche, like Syd being the quintessential bad girl with a vulnerable side, and Kali being a total flirt who doesn't really commit, but they were all very fun to read about. All the girls have really screwed up families--hello, they met in counseling--and yet they aren't self-pitiers. In fact, they use skills that helped them deal with their own families to help Love, Inc. clients.

And now that I realize it, this is actually really true. Kali, the flirt, distracts herself from commitment because her mom has been through several husbands, and she uses those flirting abilities to find matchmaking clients. Syd, the rebel, distracts herself with crime like graffiti to avoid her mom, the crazy woman, who is obsessed with trying to get Syd's dad back.

Zahra, the narrator, in particular demonstrates a great skill for mediating between clients who are breaking up, because of her separated parents and what she tries to do to get them back together.

One thing I really liked about this book was the whole storyline with Zahra's grandparents. Zahra's mom is Pakistani, and her dad is (I think?) Irish, so when they got married, the mother's parents were extremely disappointed. This seems like a total cliche, but there's actually a very good backstory to why this happened. Zahra's grandparents come to the States when they find out about the separation, and they slowly try to assimilate Zahra, her mom, and her sister Saliyah back into Pakistani culture. This is an awesome example of diversity in YA.

Another thing I liked was the love square! Yes, a love square! Yay for originality!

Basically there are three guys in this book who are love interests for Zahra: Brody, and two other guys who we will call Sheldon and Leonard (both because I have forgotten their names and because I love The Big Bang Theory). I loved Brody's character from the start, but Zahra hated him for being a flirt and kind of a jackass. Sheldon was the grandparent's choice, being Sunni Muslim, and therefore acceptable. And Leonard was just another sweet guy... but there was no spark. It was nice to see a variety of love interests in contemporary, and I had no idea who Zahra would choose.

If I could change one thing about the book, it would be the narration. I did genuinely like Zahra, but I think this is the type of book that would have been better in alternating perspective.

Plot=  17/20 | Characters = 15/20 | Writing= 10/15 | Dialogue= 11/15 | Ending= 7/10 | Cover (beauty) = 4/5 | Cover (relates to story) = 4/5 | Rereadability = 2.5/5 | Unputdownability = 3.5/5

Total= 74/100

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Inc..

08/01/2011 page 30
08/02/2011 page 150
37.0% "Super cute."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celeste (new) - added it

Celeste Hey, what do you think of this one? It looks good, but is it worth it?

Reut It's easy to read. I just finished it, and I have some complaints, but it's definitely not your cliche contemporary.