Rene's Reviews > My Sister's Voice

My Sister's Voice by Mary Carter

Jul 22, 11

Read from July 18 to 23, 2011

The idea behind the plot of this book is intriguing. Identical twins seperated at a young age, one raised in a normal weatlhy family setting while the other (who is deaf) is sent to an orphanage. Years later, in their twenties they discover each other and unravel the truth about their childhood and the years in beween. Being an identical twin myself I could relate to a lot of the dynamics of these sister's experiences. What I was not familiar with was the whole Deaf culture that obviously exists in the world. The author did a wonderful job of introducing a hearing person to what it would be like to not only be deaf but to what it's like for their friends and family as well. Although, I'm not deaf so I would love to get a deaf person's perspective on this. So, why only 3 stars? The book had some interesting and unexpected twists to it that had me shaking my head a few times. I'm not a huge fan of fiction writing that is beyond real, in other words when I find myself saying- "That would never happen in real life!"- I get frustrated. I'm the same way with movies, especially action movies when I yell out loud, "That is so stupid and fake, it could never really happen!" The characters in this book did some things that were so absurd and immature and the plot got so twisted that by the end of the book and the very last word, I'd had enough.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Voice.