Kelsey's Reviews > Woman: An Intimate Geography

Woman by Natalie Angier

Mar 25, 08

bookshelves: gender
Read in March, 2008

awesome book. a very unique, fun, informative read. she throws an incredible diversity of topics into 367 pages. within each chapter she presents a variety of theories explaining or discrediting something or another (female aggression, evolution of the clitoris, evolutionary psychology) leaving the reader (me!) sometimes confused and saying, but wait! where is my definitive answer?? but that is the great thing, she gives you so many things to consider and think about without claiming any one answer. that's not to say she doesn't pipe in with her own witty opinion quite often.

"The Icelandic singer Bjork recently complained about feminists. They really bugged her, she said. They whine about things not being equal and then men get all the breaks. She could understand that feeling for people of her mother's generation, or her grandmother's, but not now. Today the prison door is open, she insisted. All you have to do is walk out.

Part of me was happy to hear her say that, to know that she sees the door as open and herself as a free and fiery primate. More of me thinks, Get thee to an optometrist, Lady Magoo, for thy pale eyes are boiled blind. Sure, the door may be open--for now--but it's kept open by the strength of a lot of blistered female fingers and female feet and the wedging in of a rounded female haunch or two..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman.