Brad's Reviews > Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels

Lobscouse and Spotted Dog by Anne Chotzinoff Grossman

Feb 25, 10

bookshelves: aubrey-maturin, cooking

This is a great cookbook, and not just for fans of Aubrey/Maturin, but being a fan of theirs doesn't hurt.

Anne Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas put together a fascinating mix of literary veneration and nautical cooking, collecting all the recipes eaten by Jack and Stephen over the course of their adventures so that we, their fans, can eat everything from lobscouse and spotted dog to bashed neeps and voluptuous little pies.

I used the book in December 2008 to make my family a Christmas at Sea meal. The thought of hare was too much for my mother when trying the hare stew, but even she took a bite, despite her fear. The bashed neeps and stuffed pork roast were the real hits of the night, and my father and I got to share some winks and chuckles over the appropriate Aubrey/Maturin quotes we read from the book as we ate (particularly the whining from Killick).

The best part of Grossman/Thomas' book is that the food is incredibly edible. I expected most of it to be brutal fare, but everything I have tried so far has been delicious.

I makes me wish that tortoise wasn't on the endangered list because that turtle soup looks very yummy. Mmmm.

So if you love good food, tall ships or Aubrey/Maturin, give Grossman/Thomas' Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey Maturin Novels more than a passing glance. Your tummy will thank you.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lobscouse and Spotted Dog.

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bradlet goes to sea! :-)

Brad I want to. I am hoping to take a month one summer and go on a tall ship.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen OH now I am jealous. The tall ships.