Mary's Reviews > Memory's Wake

Memory's Wake by Selina Fenech

Aug 08, 11

Read from August 03 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

"Memory's Wake" is the first novel from artist Selina Fenech. I have been a fan of Selina's art for many years, and always admired her ability to suggest a story with her images. You might not know the story, but you know there is a story there: behind the fairy's eyes, in the way the mermaid cradles her newborn, in that glance between the lovers. I am pleased to confirm that Selina wields words as deftly as she does her paintbrush.

"Memory's Wake" is a gripping read. It starts off in the middle of a chase, and the action just builds from there. Chapters end in a way that makes it difficult to put the book down, because you need to know what's next. The characters are well-developed, and you care what happens to them. I particularly love the way Selina portrays the fae in the story - not as the playful, innocent, people-helping creatures of the tamer fairy tales, but as the fickle beings of ambiguous intentions as they are known from the oldest legends. While the book is aimed at a young adult audience, it is ageless in its themes and, like the YA offerings from authors such as Neil Gaiman, JK Rowling and China Mieville, it is just as enjoyable a read for adults.

The book is peppered with black and white illustrations by Selina, and these certainly enhance the story-telling. "Memory's Wake" is a joy to read, and a perfect addition to the literary fantasy realm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memory's Wake.