Jenny's Reviews > The Pursuit of Other Interests: A Novel

The Pursuit of Other Interests by Jim Kokoris

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: fiction

** spoiler alert ** Charlie is a cliched clueless boss - in over his head with very little idea of how badly he is running the office. He's miserable, stressed and knows very little about his wife and son. His whole life is work. So when he's fired it rocks his entire world to the core and after denial wears away and he begins the task of looking for work, he deals with trying to figure out what it is he really wants out of life.

I enjoyed the book - Charlie was both unlikeable and sympathetic at the same time. I would never want to work for him but I was very happy when his family life begins to get back on track.

I think the other thing I enjoyed about this book were the supporting characters at the employment office. Not everyone gets the great job at the end. One man works retail and has given up on the search, another betrays a friend to get where he wants to be and another is implied to have used more than just her intelligence to get another gig. Not everything is tied up in a boy - just the sense that everything works out in a way even if it isn't the way you'd imagined.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Other Interests.

message 1: by Krisan (new) - added it

Krisan My mom actually knows the author of this book. He lives in the same suburb as me, too. My mom read the book and really enjoyed it.

Jenny Really? Very cool. I saw it on your "to read" list and the idea of it sounds like it could be fun. Ever since I got my Nook I think I buy a new book every other week.