Katy's Reviews > Die Laughing

Die Laughing by Louis K. Lowy

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended to Katy by: Louis K. Lowy
Recommended for: fans of: sci fi, B movies, noir, dark humour, suspense, thrillers - anyone who likes a good read
Read on July 18, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Stop me if you’ve heard this one: a comedian, a waitress/Mob guy’s girlfriend and a dishwasher/writer join forces to stop aliens – who can disguise themselves as anyone that they have seen on television – from taking all the world’s oil. Never mind – I’m not very funny. But this book is – it is also thrilling, fast-paced and really well-written. “Die Laughing” is a darkly funny, yet also just plain dark, noir science fiction thriller; that’s the best I can describe it.

Sam E. Lakeside, Cricket and Lee Beaumont have come together by odd circumstances. Of course, outlining it will provide spoilers, so I’ll let you read all about it. They all end up traveling to New York City together so Sam E. can make an appearance on the Steve Allen Show – all a part of the aliens’ plans to steal the world’s oil supply. But Sam E. has plans of his own – will he be able to stop the aliens, with the help of Cricket and Lee? Or will Earth end up oil-less?

I was very impressed with Lowy’s writing style – it makes use of clichés in an imaginative and unique style; it uses words and ideas to describe things in new ways – e.g. smells are described as colours. The pace was smooth, fast without feeling rushed, and the characters felt like people you knew. As I mentioned above, there is a lot of humour in this book – and I don’t just mean Sam E.’s constant jokes. The way Lowy describes things often left me chuckling for long minutes after I had moved on to the next paragraph. I think fans of sci fi, noir, thrillers, suspense, dark humour, B movies and just plain good writing will all love this book as much as I did. Don’t wait around – get it now!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Laughing.

07/18/2011 page 4