Elizabeth's Reviews > Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 03, 08

bookshelves: ya, recently-read, paranormal
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I'm going to say right off the bat that this review contains spoilers.

Spoilers ahoy.

I'm not even sure where to start. Should I start with the contrived pregnancy? Should I start with the ridiculous name "Renesmee"? Should I start with Jacob imprinting on the vampire hybrid infant/toddler/whatever of the woman he loves? Or should I go right to the only really good part of the book, which was meeting all the different vampire clans, covens, and nomads, in preparation for a confrontation with the Volturi, only to have it build up to exactly nothing?

Stephenie Meyers has betrayed her readers on a scale that I have only ever seen from Laurell K. Hamilton. A series about choice and sacrifice has as its final volume an elaborate piece fanfiction that includes every cliche you can think of, in order to tie up everyone's stories with a neat little bow. Now, I am a married woman with a child, but I certainly don't think that's something to hold up to teen girls as something they should have done by age 18. I was never thrilled with the marriage plot, although considering Meyers' background I could have lived with it, but I found the pregnancy plot ridiculous, and worse, a cop-out. Meyers could have created the same conflict with the Volturi by having Bella decided she wanted a few more years of humanity- as she almost does decide, before the pregnancy angle comes into play. She could have resolved Jacob's story by having him fall for Leah- which would have tied up that poor girl's loose ends, too. She even still could have included Bella's change as a method to placate the Volturi, only to be too little, too late. Unfortunately, instead the author seemed to decided to take the most outlandish ideas she could come up with and run with them.

The good: reading the middle section from Jacob's POV. It was refreshing to have a realistic teenage voice and realistic teenage reactions to things. I also appreciated the plot involving the wolf pack, especially Leah and Seth. Unfortunately, this was mitigated by having Jacob's section focus almost entirely on Bella and the pregnancy, and ended with the most horrific delivery scene I've ever read and Jacob's imprinting on baby Nessie (no joke about the nickname, sadly). Another good aspect of the book I already mentioned, which was seeing all the various vampires from around the world, and reading about their interactions. Unfortunately, they came in to prepare for the most anticlimactic scene yet in this series.

Overall, I would categorize myself as horribly disappointed. I'm still shocked that what I just read was the real book and the true conclusion to Edward, Bella, and Jacob's stories. What a waste of 756 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Dawn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nightfalltwen Definitely agree with pretty much all these points, except I completely disliked the whole Jacob section. 1) Because I always disliked Jacob as a character but also a lot of 2) The italics... the ITALICS OF INTERIOR THINKINGS DROVE ME INSANE!!!! *pulls out hair*

Elizabeth Well, you know I like Jacob- although I hate, hate, hate what Meyers had done to him by the end of the book.

message 3: by Audrey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Audrey im still waiting for Ashton kutcher to come out and say "all you twilight fans, you've been PUNK'D!!!!! the real breaking dawn releases on august 22nd!" then we'll all laugh and forget about what a horrible ending this has been for beloved edward and bella...and everyone else...
anyway your review inspired mine so, thank you.

Jillian I do certainly agree with you. Though Megan McCafferty might still reign as the queen of series FAIL because Jessica Darling's story ended at Second Helpings--I think anyone who's read those books knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Jeez I wish I could finally find a series that didn't piss me off in the end.

Sherrie You hit the nail on the head speaking about fan fiction cliches...god, it made me want to throw up! I also agree about meeting the other vampires..that could have been so thoughtfully utilized! I thought for SURE that Tanya would come between Edward/Bella in a Jake kinda way...that would have been so great! Give Bella a bit of her own medicine! And I thought the Volturi would play a huge part of this book...and actually be a plot point instead of a convenient cliche. But now, we get Edward snacking on Bella's amniotic sac. Oh...and don't get me started about how now Jake is a bud with everyone...eeeghads. Too perfect...to sickening. Great reveiw!

message 6: by Athena (new)

Athena I haven't read any of the books in this series, but my daughter is a huge fan. I'm sad to hear the series didn't end well. She's heard me rant on about Hamilton's work the past few years and now I suppose she'll really see what I mean. I enjoyed Meyer's adult book, "The Host", immensely. Perhaps being a young author she will learn from this mistake, and heed the advice of the masses on this one. Really great review!!

message 7: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Elizabeth Athena, I would say this is really the YA version of the LKH situation. I'm feeling a little bitter that two authors whose early work I really enjoyed have done this to me as a reader. It's similar, in that the characters feel totally different than they do in the earlier books, and the author resorts to wish-fulfillment for all the characters to solve their problems rather than really asking anything of them. Yes, Bella suffers through her pregnancy, but that is all negated by how super sparkly awesome she is as the bestest newborn vampire ever. And like later LKH, Breaking Dawn suffers from chapters and chapters of relationship navel-gazing, with actual plot and action thrown in at the last second. It's really too bad. Oh, well- I will keep Anita Blake 1-10, and Twilight 1-3 as favorites, and ignore the rest.

Loren Harway It's all too true, especially the demise of all that made Jacob interesting. However, should Meyer not be crediting for actually having threads of plot (disappointing as they were) in comparison with the first book/s?
Damn, I never thought I'd be defending her.

message 9: by Lily (new) - rated it 1 star

Lily "Renesmee". Seriously. There's nothing more to say, really.

message 10: by Shel (new)

Shel Gosh what a bunch of moaning limpits! This is fiction people, anything goes, even if it isn't what you want in the end, this isn't your story. Everyone is an author or so they believe, try writing a book...not as easy as you think it is. The entire story is crazy impossible, but if you are reading it, you will know that you should expect the impossible. All these hurt readers, disappointed by the story having its own ending, however unsatisfactory it may be, is downright ridiculous. It's a rollercoaster ride,you choose to take the ride knowing it is going to be up and down and at the end you are left with the thrill mixed with the sadness of an ending. But at the end of the day it is for fun, escapism. Don't take it all so seriously, its called entertainment.

Comicrelief You read that bitch and her ancestors to FILTH. WERQ, HUNTY, WERQ

Comicrelief @Shel, girl, what is wrong with you? You can still serve critic realness on entertainment because it's WHAT--an opinion. So don't try and snatch people's wigs when your own is loose and crusty. AND WHAT

Brooke Seeing things through Jacob's eyes was what I liked best about the book as well. Excellent review.

Shreya What's wrong with the name Renesmee ? It's creative , unique and just amazing . You can't just expect everyone to go with the usual , boring names . You are supposed to venture out and think out of the box , that's what makes writing fun , and that's what Meyer has done justice to , without a doubt . Peace !