Lisa's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, young-adult
Read from July 18 to 25, 2011

This book was okay. It's a young adult offering, and I was really excited to read it because of the inclusion of found photographs. The narrator is a teenager who witnesses the murder of his grandfather, and ends up entangled into a group of peculiar children.

The story is fine, kind of the usual plot that you see in a supernatural young adult story; teenager thinks he's normal, but through a series of extrordinary circumstances, he learns he's special. For various reasons he can't tell any of the adults in his life what he's going through, and only his new love interest seems to understand him.

The narrator was pretty close to age appropriate (I hate when kids are written either too young or too old) and he certainly does meet a cast of peculiar children. There isn't much fleshing out of the supporting cast, but I'm sure that's to come.

Which brings me to my first criticism of this book; at no point is there any kind of warning that this is the first of a series. Is it really so difficult or detrimental to sales to include a little notation that this is book one of a brand new series?

My other problem with this book was the photographs themselves. I love found photos, I think they're fascinating. I had high hopes that this book would use them in an unique way. Unfortunately, the found photos are just used as illustrations. The chosen shots are interesting, but they don't add much to the story.

Recommended if you enjoy paranormal YA and are willing to risk the start of a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.