Wonderbunny's Reviews > Rebirth

Rebirth by Sophie Littlefield

Jul 20, 11

Read from July 18 to 19, 2011

Single sentence summary: Smoke has set out on a mission of vengeance and Cass has decided to help Dor get his daughter back from the Rebuilders who has taken her.

This is the second book in the Aftertime series. I very nearly loved the first book. It was enthralling and I couldn’t put it down. In the first book I thought the ending was rushed and I had issues with the gore factor. I didn’t have either of those problems with this book. Maybe because I’ve read a few other books that made me go ick recently but mostly I think it was because the zombies played only a side roll in this book. Rebirth is more about the humans and there are plenty of bad guys without involving the zombies.

Cass is an engaging character and I felt she had real growth in Rebirth. She is still a little unstable from her childhood, which is touched on in this book. I was a little unsettled by the parts where her self destructive behavior comes into play but those factors make her character interesting (I think that is the best word to use for how I feel).

It was also interesting that Smoke, Cass’ lover from the first book disappears quickly into this book and isn’t a huge character throughout the bulk of this book. Instead, we get a look at Dor. Dor runs the Box, a safe haven where Cass and Smoke take refuge at the end of Aftertime. He is also Sammi’s father, another character that is introduced briefly in Aftertime. I liked the change in character a lot, although I think there are still things to learn about Smoke. I am really interested after the ending of this book to see how things play out between Cass and Smoke.

The ending was so much better in this book than the previous one. I thought it was great. I really enjoyed all of the action and characters throughout this novel. I didn’t find this quite as compelling to read as the first one but it is still action packed and engaging. 4.25 Stars. Rebirth is an excellent read!

I received an ebook copy of this from Harlequin/Luna Books via Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebirth.