Sarai's Reviews > The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: children-s-chapter-books, humor
Read in July, 2011

I would have given this a 3.5.

I listened to this on CD in my car and I think the reader did an excellent job, conveying the different characters' voices and accents extremely well.

The book, though, was just okay. There was some language that made me a bit uncomfortable, taking place during the Civil War as the story does. (I kept wondering if I was a minority student reading this for a class, what would I think of it?) I liked the definitions and slang at the end, and the adventures were an interesting way to get some history across. For the most part, a fun read.

Product Description
The 2010 Newbery Honor Book by highly acclaimed author Rodman Philbrick is now in paperback!

Master storyteller Rodman Philbrick takes readers on a colorful journey as young Homer Figg sets off to follow his brother into the thick of the Civil War. Through a series of fascinating events, Homer's older brother has been illegally sold to the Union Army. It is up to Homer to find him and save him. Along the way, he encounters strange but real people of that era: two tricksters who steal his money, a snake-oil salesman, a hot-air balloonist, and finally, the Maine regiment who saved Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg and won the war for the Union. (copy continues)

These historical people and places will educate and engage young readers about our nation's past--in one of the most decisive moments of American history. In Homer's inspiring fight to track down his brother, Philbrick brings us another groundbreaking novel.

Funny, poignant, entertaining, and tragic, The Mostly True Adventures of Homer Figg will be embraced and heralded by readers and reviewers alike. A magnificent novel by one of the best fiction writers of our century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.