LitAddictedBrit's Reviews > A Modern Witch

A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from July 18 to 24, 2011

I spent many a pre-Harry Potter hour when I was a child wishing that my magical powers would reveal themselves. Sadly, they never did and I couldn't zap my little sister as was my wish at the time...Thanks to A Modern Witch, my hopes could be rejuvenated! Fortunately for her, my wish would no longer be to zap my younger sibling!

Lauren is minding her own business in Chicago selling properties to the downtown elite, buying ice cream and cuddling up on her prized sofa before being informed that she is, in fact, a witch! On to the scene whirl Jamie and a wonderful trio of witchy women: Nell, Sophie and Moira.

I loved the blend of elements and talents in the magic of A Modern Witch - each witch has their own strengths and their own way of accessing and using power. It makes the book weave a fresh feeling into old magic and it's utterly charming. I found myself completely pulled in to the twists and turns of the elements and skills and, before I knew it, I was 8 again and harbouring that love of all things magical!

Equally charming are the characters. My favourite was Nat, Lauren's best friend and, for all intents and purposes, family. She's quirky but grounded and the kind of friend everybody should have. The witches are all a little off-the-wall (as good witches should be) but in different ways, which keeps everything interesting! Who doesn't love a teeny child witch that manages to be both extraordinarily powerful but love Catwoman pranks?!

Overall: This novel is completely unpretentious and great fun. It isn't a riot of fights, danger and action but will pull you in and keep you reading all the same. Check it out if you were ever that little girl who wanted to swirl around in a world full of stars, sparkle and spells!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modern Witch.

07/20/2011 page 47