Courtney's Reviews > The Last Thing I Remember

The Last Thing I Remember by Andrew Klavan

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, mystery, series, teen-fiction, truman-award-nominees
Read in August, 2011

Quite the little thrill here. The last thing that Charlie remember is a fantastic day at school. He shows off his martial arts skills to the whole school in an assembly and then receives the phone number of the girl of his dreams. The next time he wakes up, he's strapped to a chair and overhearing orders for his death. He has no clue what's happened, but he's got to get out and get to safety, if possible. Good thing he's a black-belt. Let's leave it at that. Unfortunately, the folks who had him tied up aren't the only ones after him. The "good guys", aka the authorities, are too. Charlie's wanted for the murder of his best friend. He's already been tried and convicted, though he has no memory of it. So now he's on the run from both his captors and the authorities while not only trying to figure out what happened, but also attempting to stop a government official from becoming a target of the bad guys.
Charlie's a good guy. Like, stereotypically good. He's a kid with a lot of faith in God and his country. The kid he's accused of killing is an old friend who had gone astray. I'm still trying to figure out what all this adds up to, but the book ends in such a cliff-hanger that there's no way to tell which way this story's going to go. It's an extremely fast-paced read, though I found it to be a bit heavy-handed at times. I'll probably still read at least a few more in the series, if only to see whether or not I'm correct in a few of my suspicions.
We read this book for my middle-school book group. It received unanimous praise from the teens. Of course, they were more interested in talking about the mystery going on rather than the themes of faith and patriotism. In fact, they scarcely seemed to notice they were there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Thing I Remember.