Kathleen's Reviews > The Bird Sisters

The Bird Sisters by Rebecca Rasmussen

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: authors-new-to-me
Read in July, 2011

These are the days when Birds come back–
A very few – a Bird or two-
To take a backward look.”
Emily Dickinson

This was another one of our local library’s great reads on the new fiction shelves. The initial pages were so heart wrenching I put the book down for a few days…“Losing a wing was a little like losing a leg and the freedom of movement, of spirit it granted you; most people could live without the former but not the latter”…With great trepidation, I jumped back in. “I keep telling her a bird’s nothing to cry about…When you’ve had your heart broken, you’ll run over a person and you won’t even notice.” And so, a story unfolds, beginning in the present…“What she didn’t understand when she was fourteen but understood very well now, was not everyone in the world could be saved, for that matter, wanted to be”…with two elderly sisters, Twiss and Milly, alternating with their memories of the summer of 1947. The complicated relationship between their parents, their evolving understanding of relationships beyond their family and significant adult in their lives reveals a belief in love despite dissidence and discordance. Chance v. fate…choice v. that which is thrust upon us…this is a brilliant first novel that parts of which I will keep turning over in my dreams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bird Sisters.