Julianna's Reviews > My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by P.N. Elrod

Jul 18, 2011

bookshelves: currently-reading

Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)
*newest review for this anthology

Spellbound by L. A. Banks -

*Something Borrowed by Jim Butcher - Something Borrowed is a short, thirty-page novella that falls between Dead Beat and Proven Guilty in the Dresden Files series chronology. It features the wedding of Harry’s friends, Billy and Georgia, the leaders of the Alphas werewolf pack. Harry is the best man, so when Billy can’t reach Georgia and is caught up in appeasing his soon to be monster-in-law, he sends Harry to check on her. Much to Harry’s dismay, he finds their apartment trashed, Georgia missing, and traces of fairy activity. Using a tracking spell, Harry, with the help of Murphy and Bob, must rescue Georgia and get her to the wedding before Billy unknowingly marries the wrong woman.

This was a really fun novella that I very much enjoyed reading. The interplay between Harry, Murphy, and Bob was sharp and witty, while Murphy’s introduction to Bob was great for a laugh. Harry and Murphy always work well together, and the attraction between them (at least on Harry’s side) is slowly building, making me wonder what might happen in future books of the series. It was great to see Billy and Georgia get their happy ending, even though it didn’t exactly go as planned. But it did have a touch of fairy tale magic in an evil stepmother and true-love’s kiss, which I loved. Overall, this was a great little foray into Harry’s world that leaves me wanting to revisit it soon. Something Borrowed was originally published in this multi-author anthology but was later reprinted in the single-author anthology, Side Jobs, along with several other novellas in the Dresden Files series. Star Rating: *****

Dead Man's Chest by Rachel Caine -

“All Shook Up” by P. N. Elrod -

The Wedding of Wylda Serene by Esther M. Friesner -

Charmed by the Moon by Lori Handeland -

Tacky by Charlaine Harris -

A Hard Day's Night-Searcher by Sherrilyn Kenyon - A Hard Day's Night-Searcher was a pretty typical Dark-Hunter story, but an extremely short one. The most unique thing about it is that it features two persons of color as the hero and heroine, which in my experience is pretty unusual for a popular, mainstream romance series. Otherwise, there wasn't anything particularly new or groundbreaking in this novella that hasn't been seen before in the Dark-Hunter series.

I liked both the hero and heroine in this story. Rafael first appeared as a secondary character in Sins of the Night, and like that book, A Hard Day's Night-Searcher also takes place in Mississippi. In his human life, Rafael was a pirate, but in his three centuries of being a Dark-Hunter, he has mellowed considerably. Celena is a squire for another Dark-Hunter, Ephani (also from Sins of the Night), but Rafe takes advantage of a situation with his own squire to get Celena to work with him for a week. It was pretty amusing how Celena was so anal about her job that she nearly drove Rafael crazy in a matter of days, but when he learned why she was that way, it was a rather touching moment. However, the novella is so brief, there isn't really any space for meaningful character or relationship development. Celena was apparently already in love with Rafael long before the story began, and Rafe went from lust to love literally in the span of a heartbeat.

Rafael and Celena did get to have one quick but wild adventure, accidentally crashing an Apollite wedding reception, but as I mentioned before there wasn't much else besides the usual Dark-Hunter stuff going on here. It pains me to say so, but even Acheron's appearance was a bit lackluster. Since this novella didn't add anything to the overall mythology or story-arc of the series, it could easily be read as a stand-alone or possibly even skipped, but for those readers who prefer to read series in order it falls between Dark Side of the Moon and The Dream-Hunter in the Dark-Hunter chronology. Considering the brevity of the story, A Hard Day's Night-Searcher was a decent and fairly enjoyable read for what it was, but still didn't really reignite my enthusiasm for the series. Star Rating: ***1/2

“...Or Forever Hold Your Peace” by Susan Krinard -

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding.

07/19 "The Sherrilyn Kenyon story was fairly enjoyable, but pretty typical Dark-Hunter stuff."
02/03 marked as: currently-reading

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Should you have read the personal works of all the authors to understand these anthologies?

message 2: by Julianna (last edited Mar 19, 2015 07:49PM) (new) - added it

Julianna Hmmm... that's a tough call, Wendy, and one that I would say is probably based more on personal preference and the individual stories/series. With most anthologies I've read, the authors do a pretty good job of writing a complete story that would make sense to someone who wasn't familiar with their work. However, sometimes the characters might have been introduced in previous books of the series, and in most cases, reading them in order will enhance your understanding of the both the characters and worlds.

Personally, the way I do it is if the author/series is already on my radar, I go ahead and read in order. If I'm not familiar with the author, then I will typically use the novellas in these anthologies as an introduction to their work. If I like I'll go back and start from the beginning. If not, I don't feel like I've wasted much time. Hope this helps.