Julianna's Reviews > My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by P.N. Elrod

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)

Spellbound by L. A. Banks -

Something Borrowed by Jim Butcher -

Dead Man's Chest by Rachel Caine -

“All Shook Up” by P. N. Elrod -

The Wedding of Wylda Serene by Esther M. Friesner -

Charmed by the Moon by Lori Handeland -

Tacky by Charlaine Harris -

A Hard Day's Night-Searcher by Sherrilyn Kenyon - A Hard Day's Night-Searcher was a pretty typical Dark-Hunter story, but an extremely short one. The most unique thing about it is that it features two persons of color as the hero and heroine, which in my experience is pretty unusual for a popular, mainstream romance series. Otherwise, there wasn't anything particularly new or groundbreaking in this novella that hasn't been seen before in the Dark-Hunter series.

I liked both the hero and heroine in this story. Rafael first appeared as a secondary character in Sins of the Night, and like that book, A Hard Day's Night-Searcher also takes place in Mississippi. In his human life, Rafael was a pirate, but in his three centuries of being a Dark-Hunter, he has mellowed considerably. Celena is a squire for another Dark-Hunter, Ephani (also from Sins of the Night), but Rafe takes advantage of a situation with his own squire to get Celena to work with him for a week. It was pretty amusing how Celena was so anal about her job that she nearly drove Rafael crazy in a matter of days, but when he learned why she was that way, it was a rather touching moment. However, the novella is so brief, there isn't really any space for meaningful character or relationship development. Celena was apparently already in love with Rafael long before the story began, and Rafe went from lust to love literally in the span of a heartbeat.

Rafael and Celena did get to have one quick but wild adventure, accidentally crashing an Apollite wedding reception, but as I mentioned before there wasn't much else besides the usual Dark-Hunter stuff going on here. It pains me to say so, but even Acheron's appearance was a bit lackluster. Since this novella didn't add anything to the overall mythology or story-arc of the series, it could easily be read as a stand-alone or possibly even skipped, but for those readers who prefer to read series in order it falls between Dark Side of the Moon and The Dream-Hunter in the Dark-Hunter chronology. Considering the brevity of the story, A Hard Day's Night-Searcher was a decent and fairly enjoyable read for what it was, but still didn't really reignite my enthusiasm for the series. Star Rating: ***1/2

“...Or Forever Hold Your Peace” by Susan Krinard -
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding.

07/19/2011 "The Sherrilyn Kenyon story was fairly enjoyable, but pretty typical Dark-Hunter stuff."