Nikki's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Aug 02, 11

Read from July 18 to 30, 2011

A spiderweb of vignettes, A Visit from the Goon Squad offers a glimpse of the ebb and flow of time showcasing some of life's defining moments for a group of people, a group that proves to the reader that we are all more interconnected than we may realize. The book is laid out like an old record or cassette - you have side A, with the setup and stronger pieces, with the b-side that offers some offshoots that are more distantly connected along with some pieces that help tie everything together. Like the separate tracks on an album, each chapter is part of the whole while still doing its own thing and offering its own sound. This is an ensemble piece where the POV and individual chapters are just as much an integral part of this cast as the characters are.

Ultimately, I'm of mixed feelings on this book. In one regard I enjoyed the varied voices and writing style and tilted cohesion of characters and theme. However, I can't say I was ever fully compelled to keep reading. I only vaguely connected with a couple of characters and even then I didn't feel too invested. Plus it suffers from being overly literary... can that be a thing? It has a great writing style, but to a point of my being overly aware of it and finding it almost distracting at times. All in all I'd say it was worth 3.5 stars and I liked it well enough to round that up rather than down.
Likeflag

Quotes Nikki Liked

Jennifer Egan
“I'm always happy," Sasha said. "Sometimes I just forget.”

Jennifer Egan
“See," Sasha muttered, eyeing the sun. "It's mine.”

Jennifer Egan
“Everybody sounds stoned, because they're e-mailing people the whole time they're talking to you.”
tags: p123