Brad's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

bookshelves: classic, literary-mashup
Read in June, 2009, read count: 2

The Great Gollum

Chapter VII*

...Master Frodo stood in the centre of the crimson carpet and gazed around with fascinated eyes. Gollum watched him and laughed, his mad, excited laugh; a tiny gust of dead skin rose from his emaciated chest into the air.

“The rumor is,” whispered Faramir, “that that’s Sauron on the Palantir.”

We were silent. The voice in the hall rose high with annoyance: “Very well, then, I won’t do your bidding at all. . . . I’m under no obligations to you at all . . . and as for your bothering me about it at lunch time, I won’t stand that at all!”

“Holdings down the stone,” said Gollum cryptically.

“No, he’s not,” I assured him. “It’s bona-fide. We happen to know about it.”

Gandalf flung open the door, blocked out its space for a moment with his thick body, and hurried into the room.

“Frodo!” He put out his broad, flat hand with well-concealed excitement. “I’m glad to see you, my friend. . . .Samwise. . . .”

“Makes us full of pain, he does,” cried Gollum.

As Gandalf left the room again Gollum got up and went over to Master Frodo and pulled his hand down, kissing him on the Ring.

“You knows I love you,” he babbled.

“You forget there’s a lord present,” said Faramir.

Gollum looked around suspiciously.

“You kiss the fat one too.”

“What a low, vulgar beast!”

“I don’t care!” cried Gollum, and began to clog on the stone mantle. Then he remembered the rope and couched guiltily on the stones just as a tall warrior led Meriadoc into the room.

“Bles-sed pre-cious,” Gollum crooned, holding out his arms to Master Frodo. “Come to your own one that loves you.”

Meriadoc, relinquished by the long haired Warrior, rushed across the room and kicked Gollum savagely to the ground.

“The bles-sed pre-cious! Dids I do something to deserve these nasty hobbitses? Stand back. Let me be. Let poor Smeagol be.”

Mr. Frodo and I in turn leaned down and took Gollum's small, reluctant hand. Afterward we kept looking at Meriadoc with surprise. I don’t think we had ever really believed him so cruel before...."

*freely adapted from Chapter VII of Fitzgerald's book, with a surprising minimum of alterations

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 9: by Brad (last edited Jun 20, 2009 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brad I couldn't help myself. I read this section last night and couldn't get The Lord of the Rings out of my head.

Sorry to those who prefer reviews in the review section.

As for the book itself...well, I first read it as a teenager and I've always felt it was a touch overrated. But I swore I would reread it, so I finally did this week. I raised my rating from two to three stars.

There is much that's good in the book, much to admire, and Fitzgerald's prose is beautiful, but in the end I just didn't care...about anyone...not even Nick (maybe I cared a little for Jordan though, particularly when she calls Nick on his "honesty"), and the coincidences and understatements were a little too annoying for my tastes. I get Gatsby's place in American Literature, I appreciate what F. Scott Fitzgerald was trying to do, but I can't muster much more than a "meh."

Megha Is this based on the part where Tom Buchanan takes his mistress and Nick to a flat in the city?

Brad Megha wrote: "Is this based on the part where Tom Buchanan takes his mistress and Nick to a flat in the city?"

No...this is later on in the book, just before Tom insists that they all go into the city. Daisy is being indiscreet with Gatsby, Nick and Jordan look on, and the nurse brings in the Buchanans' daughter.

Megha Ok, gotcha.

Kelly Maybedog You're a nut. I didn't think it was that great, either, and I think it was greatly because I didn't care about anyone in the book. You nailed it.

Brad Thanks, Kelly. It's nice to know I am not alone on my indifference to this book.

Renee Yeup. That must have been it. There was a lot of amazing descriptions and use of language, but the characters were so... Impersonal. Even Nick, the perspective, you only touch surface with. I think I feel more for the objects (such as gatsby's house) than I did for the actual characters. Sad thing. Truthful, though.

Elsa It did feel impersonal, but for me the vivid descriptions and subtle character traits made it more real. It certainly wasn't a whitewash of nice characters, but the faults were perhaps what made them as people plausible? Those are just my thoughts.

Brad Distance, especially in such a superficial world, can do that same thing for me, Elsa, making the characters more plausible. It's a bit of what made Don Draper so compelling for me in season 1 of Mad Men.