Brad's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, youth, out-loud, to-my-kids, faves
Read from June 01 to November 28, 2010

I know that many of you out there haven't gotten around to reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Much like Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch and Lucifer's worldwide bestseller The Holy Bible, you own a copy, it gathers dust, but its never been read. You've been thinking about it, though. You see it there on the shelf and you wonder, "Is this book for me?"

The following checklist will tell you all you need to know about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban's suitability for you. The more checkmarks you have, the more you need to tackle this wonder of modern literature.

1. Do you have Daddy issues? ✓ or ✘
2. Has a creepy middle aged man been sleeping with you for years, unbeknownst to you? ✓ or ✘
3. Does the full moon make you anxious? ✓ or ✘
4. Have you ever gorged on chocolate to combat depression? ✓ or ✘
5. Do you find there just isn't enough time in the day? ✓ or ✘
6. Are you misunderstood? ✓ or ✘
7. Do you have an overactive sense of justice that gets you into trouble? ✓ or ✘
8. Do you break rules whenever you can? ✓ or ✘
9. Do you scoff at personal danger, especially when it gets in the way of your fun? ✓ or ✘
10. Are you a dog lover, or would you like to be one? ✓ or ✘

1-2: You'd probably rather be reading Finnegan's Wake, The Book of Mormon or Sally Dick and Jane
3-5: Skip it and watch the movie.
6-8: Time to dust off that copy and give it a whirl.
9-10: Put your existential crisis aside. Shave your moustache. Take a day off work, and read this book. It won't change your life, but it'll be like reading about your dream self.

Do as you will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant review - funnier and shorter than the book. Made me LOL.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert So I've read two of the books you mention - neither is Azkaban. Care to guess which two?

Whitaker You get a vote for the "Lucifer's bestseller" bit.
:-)

Brad I had a feeling you'd like that one, Whitaker.

Thanks, Bernadette. I almost felt bad writing that review because I really do like the book, but then it just came out and I thought, "Oh well."

I could see you having read all three, Robert. I've only read two of the three myself, but one of them is sitting waiting for me. Okay, I'll guess the Bible and Foucault's Pendulum.

Helen (Helena/Nell) So at least that's clear: I'm not going to have to read it.

Brad I've read parts of the Book of Mormon, Sherri, but not the whole thing. I often think I should, though. Yiddish with Dick and Jane. That's awesome!

Are you serious that you've not read this, Nell. Really?

message 7: by DoctorM (new)

DoctorM Ummm...actually I've read "Foucault's Pendulum" more than once...and assigned it to a class. I read the Book of Mormon in tandem with Robt. E. Howard, and I can't seem to tell the two apart.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Ha! Your guess is 100% correct, Brad!

Brad Nice!

message 10: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom O’Connell Made me giggle like a schoolgirl :-)

Manny How did I miss this when it came out? Masterly!

message 12: by Brad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brad Thank you, Manny. Not sure how you missed it. You hardly ever miss anything.

message 13: by Brad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brad Tom wrote: "Made me giggle like a schoolgirl :-)" That thought gives me great pleasure, Tom ;)

Willian Lovely hahaha!

Serenity Did you read the book off here, because it won't let me