Frank's Reviews > Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude

Stretch by Neal Pollack

Jul 18, 2011

Read in July, 2011

Hilarious and unexpectedly moving book about a self-described "doughy 35ish white man" with skinny arms and a huge dose of self-pity named Neal Pollack -- he of a few momentarily fame-lofted books in the 20-aughts -- and his somewhat accidental stumbling into practicing yoga and finding a better place in his life. It's not really a memoir, not really a self-help book, most definitely NOT a how-to book on yoga practice, and there are a few too many excursions into chapters that read like padded versions of articles that Pollack wrote for Yoga Journal on various kooky and/or finger-pointy aspects of Western yoga and its absurdities. But in the end it's a great book to read -- nothing too heavy, to be sure, but that's just what I needed right now, at a time in my own life when I need to get back to yoga after leaving it on the back burner for way too long. And in that respect, the book succeeded -- and it was also fun to read, full of well-observed touches and a few annoying self-important ones as well.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stretch.