Angela James's Reviews > By the Sword

By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy
Read in December, 2011

3.5 stars (Oh, Goodreads, won't you please give us half stars?)

I found the beginning of this book a little slow to get through. I enjoyed the story overall, but I did think, for a story with such a broad scope (covering decades) it was a little aimless. Essentially the story of Kerowyn's tale. No real overarching plot, but a series of smaller plots and conflicts. And I didn't feel a huge satisfaction of resolution at the end, because there was a new storyline introduced, so while this is touted as one of Lackey's stand alone novels, I can't help but feel there was a lot left unsaid.

But, despite all that, I really enjoyed this heroine and the story definitely captured my attention. I've not read a lot by Lackey in the past (I don't know why, my brother is a big fan so we own a lot of her books), but I'd definitely consider checking out one of her trilogies, if someone pointed me in the direction of one of the better ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Sword.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juli (new)

Juli I am partial to the very first trilogy, Talia's Arrows of the Qeen books, because it's a brand-new world and she sets it up well. For high drama and some of her finest writing, the Vanyel trilogy (Magic titles) is wonderful.

message 2: by Estara (new)

Estara I think Kerowyn's Tale really only works when you've read the set-up of the Valdemar novels - at least the first trilogy Arrows of the Queen AND the Oathbound books about Tarma and Kethryveris (basically collections of short stories she wrote about those two in the Sword & Sorceress anthologies by Marion Zimmer Bradley - and one real novel).
Then the impact of that last battle in By The Sword is much more felt.

Angela James I read the Tregrade books. I liked them!

message 4: by Estara (new)

Estara Angela wrote: "I read the Tregrade books. I liked them!"

She actually wrote a new short story in the Tregarde universe in her anthology collection Trio of Sorcery. I haven't read it yet but am eyeing it.

Also recommended: her one urban fantasy with Indian shamans - Sacred Ground.

message 5: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Reisner Of the Valdemar books, I liked Magic's Pawn best. The rest of that trilogy is so-so, but that book is great.