Jane's Reviews > Okay for Now

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from July 18 to 20, 2011

I loved this book. Plan to read it aloud to my class next year. Not sure whether to fifth or sixth. Maybe both. I gave it four stars originally, because I tend to love many of the books I read. But while I felt there were some things that turned out more wonderful than seems credible, the book was filled with so many dark, dark places that I was rooting ing for the author to make Doug's life at least a little brighter. No, there's one thing that happens that doesn't seem possible. I think most kids will feel that way too. I know my friend, Sam will. But the characters are superb, and the sections on Audubon's sketches of birds and Mr. Powell's lessons are magnificent. I know almost nothing about drawing and I feel as though I could if I read those pages over and over again and then tried out some of the suggestions that Mr. Powell makes. I hope kids don't read this before I read it aloud, but some will and that's okay; I think it's the kind of book that will unfold in entirely new ways on a second reading. Part of the beauty of this book is that it's clearly for Middle School aged kids and there is so much that is subtle, is ever so delicately implied. The author clearly respects his readers. I am so glad that Gary Schmidt wrote this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.