Liz Lloyd's Reviews > Silent to the Bone

Silent to the Bone by E.L. Konigsburg

Jul 18, 2011

Read in July, 2011

Silent to the Bone is a novel about a young man, Branwell, who is force into silence because of an event that took place that has made his baby sister comatose. Branwell is forced into silence not by his own will but perhaps because he is scared of what has happened to his sister. He is placed into a behavioral center where many of his family members, lawyers and friends tries to get him to open up and tell what has taken place the day of the incident. He refuses to speak to any of them. His best friend, Conner, remembers reading a book where a man communicated by blinking his eyes. With this strategy in mind, Conner begins to "speak" to his best friend. After running around trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, Conner is eventually able to find out the person who is at fault. Only then is Branwell able to speak again.

I enjoyed reading this novel and it is definitely a novel that students would be able to relate too. The novel is full of suspense, mystery and secrets all that middle school students are aware of. I recommend this book to any middle school student. I didn't give the novel 5 stars because I felt like the ending was not satisfying and wouldn't be satisfying to the readers. There is a lot of implications to be made about what really occurred to the baby sister. Additionally, the reader will have to be able to infer that the person who is to blame has been taken to jail. Inferring is a good strategy for good readers, however good readers also would want to know if their inferences are correct.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent to the Bone.