Dave's Reviews > The Curfew

The Curfew by Jesse Ball

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 28 to August 02, 2011

The Curfew is about the individual's, the family's and the larger community's, struggle to maintain control in a world that is ultimately out of our control. The Curfew is a novel written by a poet with spare, lyrical, insightful writing. There is no shortage of lines to savor and repeat in one's head or aloud.

There is a wonderful recent interview with the author: http://www.themillions.com/2011/06/th... I especially found illuminating:

"Jesse Ball: We’re all put in to difficult circumstances in our life and we have to decide how we can create our own life within that, so I think the core of the book is about how a family can create interior circumstances or render inconsequential whatever difficulties the world forces on them."

and

"JB: [The Curfew] is a manual about how to live in a difficult time."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curfew.

Quotes Dave Liked

Jesse Ball
“In a long life, said many an old man, this is but one more thing. Yet there were others who were young and knew nothing about the helplessness of life's condition. Did they glow with light? They did, but of course, it could not be seen. And all the while, the grinding of bones like machinery, and the light step of tightrope walkers out beyond the windows.”
Jesse Ball, The Curfew