Sarah's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, young-adult
Read in July, 2011

This was my first experience with an audio book. I've joined an audiobook community in order to get free YA audio books all summer. I've never listened to an audio book before, and it was an interesting experience. This review may be more about that experience than it is about the book itself.

This is the story of Tom Ward, the seventh son of a seventh son who is apprenticed to "Old Gregory" the county Spook. A spook is someone who is hired to rid houses and locations of supernatural and evil entities. Tom isn't sure that this is the direction that he wants to take in his life, but his Mam isn't giving him a choice.

I thought that the writing was a little too full of adjectives; the descriptors just seemed to go on and on. Also, the surprises weren't very surprising. The Spook tells Tom not to trust girls with pointy shoes, so he immediately makes a promise to a girl with pointy shoes. Like we couldn't see that one coming a mile away.

I found the writing juvenile - even for a YA novel, and I don't think I would recommend this to my students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.