Jennifer's Reviews > Abandon

Jul 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya-supernatural
Read in July, 2011

Pierce has had a rough time - she drowned and had a near-death-experience when she was younger which broke up her parents' marriage and caused her to have all kinds of emotional issues. But it wasn't just that - she actually did die. Went to the underworld. Met an angry but handsome fellow named John who was in charge, and who wasn't going to let her go. After being revived, Pierce realized that John still hadn't let her go - he kept coming to rescue her.

Follows roughly the Persephone myth, but this story by Cabot isn't one of my favorites. Her trademark humor is low-key, here, and the story is very disjointed. Not because elements are revealed in flashbacks, but things just don't flow. Elements feel stuck together and unexplained. Characters are not as fleshed-out as in Cabot's usual work and we don't care a whole lot about them. We don't feel super-sympathetic towards Pierce, either. We're left with something of a cliff-hanger, but I'm not too sure I'll go and pick up the next book when it is released. This is a disappointment, because I've really enjoyed Cabot's other works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.