Michi's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

F_50x66
May 05, 08

Read in January, 2005

Very entertaining, but kind of made me gag. Everything was written in this faux-asian "My heart ached like cherry blossom petals floating on the river..." bullshit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dominic I've spent years in Japan and I in no way find this book to present the asain people or cultures in any fake-light. I suggest you don't make comments on what you don't know. Save your ignorance for more industrious uses.

message 2: by Michi (last edited May 01, 2009 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michi Hi Dominic, I am full-on 100% Japanese citizen. About as bi-lingual, bi-cultural as you get.
I probably shouldn't have used the word faux. "forced" would have been better.

message 3: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Thank you Michi, and Dominic I ask, how much do you know about true Japanese culture yourself? You can spend many years in Jamaica on a resort and never find out about TRUE Jamaica.

Lulu It's a metaphor!!! Get over it!!

Abhik every japanese thing i have seen or read , manga, anime , cartoon , games etc always has a pink coloured tree called "cherry blossom" with pink leaf like things falling from it. so i guess that tree is some kind of "paragon of BEAUTY" in japan/ or traditional-japan-merchandise :)

Abhik Michi, how can you live in NYC and claim to be a japanese citizen ?