Mohammad Moonis's Reviews > Last Man in Tower

Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga

Jul 18, 11

Read in July, 2011

“Last Man in Tower” presents the dynamic but predictable relationship between the people of Mumbai and the city. It is also better than expected story from the Booker prize-winning writer. In one line, it is the one old man’s fight against a builder, who is going to demolish the old man’s society to erect a new one. The old man, major protagonists, Masterji has memories of his deceased daughter and wife associated with Vishram Society. His emotional attachment clashes with the dreams of fellow residents, who are accepting the above than market rate for relocation. The old man-Masterji suffers the wrath of complex nexus between people’s greed and the corrupt system. Each character tells a different story of aspiration and relation with the city. No character can be considered as good or bad. However, Mr Ajwani-The broker’s attitude was bit confusing. Overall, it is a good read and a great follow-up of “The White Tiger”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man in Tower.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marina (new)

Marina Last Man in the Tower sounds fascinating and one aspect of the plot reminds me of a book I read long ago i.e.
The Tenants by Bernard Malamud which takes place in NYC in the 1960s; an apartment building is abandoned except for one Jewish tenant who wants to finish the novel he is writing. Then an African-American moves in and the story shows the culture conflicts between the two. Now I'll have to reread it and read Last Man in the Tower and make a true comparison.

Mohammad Moonis Yeah !.. You should read this book. This will give you insight of one aspect of India's rapid economic growth & ambition through a fast-paced story. Since I like the stories on boundaries, cultural clashes, socio-economic resonance in daily lives etc., I would definitely read the book - The Tenants. And also New York's multicultural nature always interested me.

Joan Marina wrote: "Last Man in the Tower sounds fascinating and one aspect of the plot reminds me of a book I read long ago i.e.

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina I haven't read any Indian writer's lately. Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance is a favorite of mine.