Nic's Reviews > Cargo

Cargo by Jessica Au

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: aussie-ya, debut-2011, 2011, review-copy, young-adult, tear-jerker, read-in-2011, realistic-fiction
Read from July 25 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

Rating 3.75 stars.

Favourite Quote: He pulls back, grins, and she is just young enough to mistake this feeling - this rough, violent swell - for love or something like it.

Wow, Cargo is such a breathtaking story. I wasn't quite expecting so much emotion from this book. My heart is still feeling a little raw and tender after finishing it.

Cargo is a real and honest read that captures the lives of three teens Gillian, Frankie and Jacob set in an Australian beach side town, the year 1992. It is a quick read at just 200 pages told in alternating chapters between these three characters who aren't friends but yet their lives are intertwined. While it captures some blissful moments of life as a teen and it really focuses on those heart aching times.

Jessica Au's writing is stunning. Her prose is gorgeous and is full of emotion. She makes every sentence sound beautiful.

The window grates open under her hands and the breeze is a shock of cold across her cheeks. When the horn calls for the third time, she feels the sound like the lowest note of a tuba through her ribs. She can just make out a lone cluster of lights that might be carrier navigating the darkness. Welded steel on great tracts of open water: she reminds herself that there have been swimmers who have crossed these same distances, some not much older than fifteen.

The characters are compelling. They each deal with issues that we all struggle with as a teen and you can really feel their angst and pain. While each of their stories held my interest, Gillian's point of view was my favourite. Completely absorbing and moving. It really got under my skin and nearly brought me to tears a couple of times.

Overall, Cargo is an impressive debut that is full of heart. Jessica Au is definitely an author I hope to read more from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cargo.

07/26/2011 page 50
07/26/2011 page 50
21.93% "A bit heartbreaking...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nomes (new)

Nomes O.o looks interesting. i think it is adult fiction?

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic It says on the media release coming of age story that follows the lives and loves of Gillian, Jacob and Frankie.

I hope it is good!

message 3: by Nomes (last edited Jul 18, 2011 12:39AM) (new)

Nomes i hope so too (you can let me know ;)

(the blurb on goodreads says it is adult fiction (?) )

but the characters sound YA :D

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I might change that. It is definitely young adult in the media release and the book.

message 5: by Nomes (new)

Nomes oh the power of the goodreads librarian ;)

i have a book i want to add on here ... maybe i could get you to do it? (unless it is a lot of effort?)

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Message me the details and I will add it tonight! I am excited to see what it is :)

message 7: by Braiden (new) - added it

Braiden This sounds good if its heartbreaking...me want!

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic It is good so far. Has beautiful poetic writing and a sad feel to it. Very character driven.

message 9: by Braiden (new) - added it

Braiden Awesome. I love the abstractness of the cover too.

message 10: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Do we have to start a petition for GR to start offering 1/2 ratings?

message 11: by Nomes (new)

Nomes oh my gosh i wish they would have half stars. there is a big difference to me between giving a book 3 or giving it 4. and i angst a lot about stuff like that ;)

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Arlene wrote: "Do we have to start a petition for GR to start offering 1/2 ratings?"

Yes please. Although I am still undecided if I should rate this 3.5 stars or 4 stars. I really need 3.75 LOL

message 13: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly I agree with .5 stars too!!!

Nic, what was so sad about it?

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic It is one of those come of age stories about wanting everything for the first time and not getting what you want. It reminds me of Saltwater Moons. Full review will be up tonight :)

message 15: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly Nic wrote: "It is one of those come of age stories about wanting everything for the first time and not getting what you want. It reminds me of Saltwater Moons. Full review will be up tonight :)"

OIC! Ok, will look forward to your review!