Mario's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: fiction, speculative-fiction, horror
Read from July 18 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

But for a few odd quirks, this could be almost a perfect novel. It is, in its plainest form, the story of a man haunted by his mistakes.
(view spoiler)

The way the story written is particularly odd, but I would blame that on Shelley's inexperience more than anything else. Chapter 14, for instance, we are reading the letters of a sea captain to his sister, who is narrating a story told by a man he met in the arctic, who was telling him about another man, who told him a story about living near a family, one of which received letters from a grateful woman. We are being treated to the substances of those latter letters in which the woman told the story of her life. By the time it gets to us, her story has been related orally by three people (who, it seems, have truly remarkable memories).

That's all beside the point, though. The story itself is pretty nice, haunting and suspenseful, but it is not at all like any movie you may have seen. The creature is far more man than monster, but that's what makes it so good. If you put aside your preconceptions and start it with an open mind, you should enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.