Brya Shonyea's Reviews > Midnight and the Meaning of Love

Midnight and the Meaning of Love by Sister Souljah

Jul 17, 11

After reading the posts, I have to say that it's obvious that a lot of the people who read Midnight, were offended by the depiction of American women because they saw themselves in the characters. The black characters in the book weren't put downs, they were very realistic of people we all know and see everyday. Don't get mad at SS if you had sex with half your neighborhood, fight and make fools out of yourself in the street, and disrespected yourself. We all know that not every Black woman acts this way, but lets be honest, the ones that do, get way more attention than the ones who don't. Also, one of the Sudanese characters clearly stated that he felt all American females were trash, not just the Black ones. I liked that this book forced me to take a good look at myself, and my community growing up, and I now see why other cultures consider Black Americans to be clowns. Some of us do act clownish. What I don't understand is how the same people who expressed that they were so offended by Midnight, somehow managed not to be offended by the characters in CWE.

BryBelle

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight and the Meaning of Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sondra I agree.

message 2: by Elysa (new) - added it

Elysa Hicks-shelton Thank you I couldn't have said it better.

message 3: by Svari (new) - added it

Svari I concur I feel the same way about the women I see on a daily basis at school. Sistah Souljah just wrote the truth about a lot of American women.

Chantelle Mcdonald I agree totally I am so sick an tired of seeing our sisters putting each other down we are all supposed to be one and uplift one another. This book as you said has truly opened my eyes to the community in which we live in.