Bry .'s Reviews > Midnight and the Meaning of Love

Midnight and the Meaning of Love by Sister Souljah

Jun 07, 2015

bookshelves: loved-it

After reading the posts, I have to say that it's obvious that a lot of the people who read Midnight, were offended by the depiction of American women because they saw themselves in the characters. The black characters in the book weren't put downs, they were very realistic of people we all know and see everyday. Don't get mad at SS if you had sex with half your neighborhood, fight and make fools out of yourself in the street, and disrespected yourself. We all know that not every Black woman acts this way, but lets be honest, the ones that do, get way more attention than the ones who don't. Also, one of the Sudanese characters clearly stated that he felt all American females were trash, not just the Black ones. I liked that this book forced me to take a good look at myself, and my community growing up, and I now see why other cultures consider Black Americans to be clowns. Some of us do act clownish. What I don't understand is how the same people who expressed that they were so offended by Midnight, somehow managed not to be offended by the characters in CWE.

TBO <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight and the Meaning of Love.

03/10 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-8 of 8) </span> <span class="smallText">(8 new)</span>

Sondra I agree.

message 2: by Elysa (new) - added it

Elysa Hicks-shelton Thank you I couldn't have said it better.

message 3: by Svari (new) - added it

Svari I concur I feel the same way about the women I see on a daily basis at school. Sistah Souljah just wrote the truth about a lot of American women.

Chantelle Mcdonald I agree totally I am so sick an tired of seeing our sisters putting each other down we are all supposed to be one and uplift one another. This book as you said has truly opened my eyes to the community in which we live in.

message 5: by Chanté (new) - added it

Chanté Jones hahaha, well put!

message 6: by Deja (new)

Deja Dawkins I feel as though we all come from different backgrounds as African-Americans. Let's be honest. There is a lack of respect for black women other than any other race. You want to know why? Our men are not protecting our honor. We are left to fight and defend ourselves. I appreciated the honest view of how men of any race think of us. It's our job as women to change that and want to give a BIG SHOUT OUT TO THE BLACK WOMAN WHO HAS HER DEGREE AND REPRESENTS FOR ALL OF THE EDUCATED GRACEFUL BLACK WOMEN. You are the future! We read. We loved. We cherish.

Jillian Díor I receive all of that Deja!

message 8: by Jahayah (new) - added it

Jahayah I was born and raised in America.. I am a black woman.. but I am fascinated by this story and I am in love with the character midnight... It's true about how Women in America degrade themselves.. but of course there are reasons why us black women in America are the way we are.. Only thing I will say, I don't agree with is midnight being in love with an Japanese girl.. why couldn't she be the same character with dark skin? It seems like no matter where you go, where you look or what you see and read.. There will always be another race taking away the only good men our black race has to offer... whether fictional or non fictional.. and it's actually sad.. Akemi could have been Indian, Afro latino, Even African American.. but still different, enticing and unique or unheard of.. but the good thing about reading a book is, you can use your imagination however you choose to..