Priyanka's Reviews > Saint Francis

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: library-reads, classsics, classics-read2012, read-in-2012
Recommended to Priyanka by: Saji Varky
Read from January 28 to March 07, 2012

I think I would have appreciated the book more if I haven't read The Last Temptation of Christ before. I was searching for this book for a while and my joy knew no bounds when I found it in the dusty corner of the library.Yes, I very much wanted to fall in love with the Little Pauper. But I just have to admit that Saint Francis failed to move me like Last Temptation. I admit that my lack of knowledge about Christianity might be a factor. Still, that didn't prevent me from loving Last Temptation .
As expected the writing is delightful and captivating. I especially liked the last portion of the book where Lady Pica came to see her son in his deathbed.
It is not an easy read and took me more than one one month to finish.
PS:Kazantzakis is still my favorite author and I will read Zorba the Greek for sure.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint Francis.

02/07/2012 page 160
02/07/2012 page 160
26.0% "As expected it is not an easy read. Now that I started picking up the pace, I wish I could spend the whole day with it."
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I also loved his "Last Temptation of Christ." I have "Zorba the Greek" in my tbr but I am reserving it for maybe next year. I did not know about this book until now that you've me realize of its existence. I will watch out for it now. :) Nice review. Thanks!

BTW, I liked Saramago's "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ" though. :)

Priyanka Thank You, K.D. Saint Francis is not a very well known work of Kazantzakis. I came to know about it because it was recommended to me by one of my teachers a while ago. It was a struggle to get a hard copy of this book. Not planning to read Zorba the Greek anytime soon. Need a gap before getting onto the next book of Kazantzakis.
Thanks for mentioning "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ". Going by your review, I feel like it is my kind of book.:)

Dawn I had the same experience. "Saint Francis" is not written with the same passion as "The Last Temptation of Christ."

Priyanka Dawn wrote: "I had the same experience. "Saint Francis" is not written with the same passion as "The Last Temptation of Christ.""
I totally agree with you on that. I had huge expectations on this book. But it didn't appeal to me as "The Last Temptation Of Christ" did.