Angela's Reviews > The House at Sugar Beach

The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper

Mar 25, 2008

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Read in March, 2008

I nabbed this book from my husband's to-read pile one afternoon, thinking I'd read a few pages. I had a hard time putting it down and had to claim it as my own for a few days.

Ms. Cooper's memoir is gentle and wry, which is probably pretty difficult to do when you are writing about one of the most volatile areas in recent memory.

I liked it best when she wrote about her family and her own experience, but the "history lessons" she inserted were relevant, and certainly necessary for a reader (like me) who didn't already know the horrible details of recent events in Liberia. (And it's just me calling them "history lessons" - Cooper does a nice job of weaving important details in with her family story, as her family were important figures in the founding and governing of Liberia).

I highly recommend this book - I think it will appeal to current event buffs and folks who like personal memoirs and books about family relations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Sugar Beach.