Tyan's Reviews > Kushiel's Dart

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

Apr 03, 08

Read in April, 2008

I would sum up the plot as an S&M bottom saving France before it was France by sleeping with powerful people. The main character is a trained courtesan who happens to be turned on by pain. She uses her unique skills, both in and out of bed, to further the cause of her mentor and eventually that of her country. She is joined by an interesting group of people along the way, all of whom are outcasts of some sort or another.

There is a lot of sex and some pretty detailed descriptions of violence in sex so it's not for the faint of heart. Although these descriptions might be a bit graphic for many I didn't find it any worse than what you might encounter in some more mainstream literature. Despite that the author does a good job of focusing on how a simple person can become embroiled in greater political machinations. I liked the interesting mix of characters and felt the interactions between them were mostly believable. In a few cases the "sex will save you" theme was a bit over the top. I did like the strong female characters and especially appreciated the emphasis on how marginalized people can fill unique and vital roles.

I would recommend this book to anyone who like fantasy that is a little racy. I would also recommend it to people who enjoy fantasy with heavy political overtones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Dart.

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie morning Tyan.
Sounds like an interesting book. Sort of 'Dangerous Beauty'(movie) only more detailed.
I'll have to pass this one along to Jenny Craig. She and I were discussing racy books the other day. Mostly 'Stealing Beauty' I think by Anne Rice. I haven't tried to read that one since I was in high school and at the time not quite prepared for the kind of sex happening inside.
I'll have to give this one a go and Stealing Beauty one more try.

Lasairfiona Smith This book is nothing like Stealing Beauty. The Rice book is about sex and only about sex. It goes much beyond racy. Most books like that (including the Laurell K Hamilton books) have plots that are made to get the reader to the sex. The way I see this book is that sex is not the point of the book, it is a way to further the plot. It is a racy book but it isn't smut.

I'm not saying you wouldn't enjoy both but they aren't even the same genre. I saw your comment and just had to clarify that.