John Egbert's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: confusing-but-good, cover-win, eh, hmmm-interesting, le-sigh, not-sure, okay, wait-what, youre-doin-it-right
Read from May 31 to June 01, 2012

Well, that was fun. A solid three stars. Review later.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

05/31/2012 page 40
9.0% "Ah, yes, I am finally reading this one."
06/01/2012 page 200
46.0% "I have to say, I hope Clara doesn't end up with Christian."
06/01/2012 page 209
48.0% "The reason Tucker's character is working is because he's a jerk with a heart of gold, rather than someone like, say, Patch who is a jerk with a heart of... creep."
06/01/2012 page 220
51.0% "I don't like Christian. I can't help it. I don't know WHY. I just don't like him."
06/01/2012 page 230
53.0% "Oh yeah, let's not immediately tell our mom about the creepy dream involving a dangerous evil angel that may or may not be a prediction of the future. This will turn out well. *sigh*"
06/01/2012 page 233
54.0% "I laugh and shift slightly, and our shoulders touch. Zap. Even through our clothes. No, no, no! Please not the "electricity sparks when we touch" crap. I'm going to pray that it's just static electricity and hope it doesn't happen again."
06/01/2012 page 240
55.0% "Ugh, I don't care about Christian. At all. So these heart to heart chats between him and Clara are doing nothing for me. They just don't have any chemistry. She only likes him because he's hot and popular and because she thinks she's *supposed* to."
06/01/2012 page 244
56.0% "He hugs me, and for the first few seconds it’s awkward, like we don’t know where to put our hands, but then the familiar magnetic force takes over and our bodies fit together perfectly. 'The magnetic force'. I'm sorry, but for crying out loud, 'the magnetic force'?" 1 comment
06/01/2012 page 250
57.0% "Did Wendy really just... loan out her brother for the summer? I can't help but feel weird about that."
06/01/2012 page 253
58.0% "Can something PLEASEEE happen now? This Clara Tucker summer thing is fine, but I mean like, actual plot?"
06/01/2012 page 255
59.0% "If Clara calls Christian a god one more time, I swear I'm going to lose it."
06/01/2012 page 270
62.0% "...What just happened?"
06/01/2012 page 275
63.0% "Okay, all that could have been solved with a simple conversation was solved with a simple conversation. Good. Now, can we please get back to the actual plot? Please?"
06/01/2012 page 276
63.0% "That was... sudden."
06/01/2012 page 276
63.0% "Ahahaha false alarm. I love the way that just happened."
06/01/2012 page 280
64.0% "I'm starting really, really dislike this purpose thing."
06/01/2012 page 295
68.0% "Huh? Okay. Uh, that was unexpected."
06/01/2012 page 300
69.0% "Oh my god, no pun intended. That was the best crafted plot twist I've read all year."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steph Sinclair Get on it!

John Egbert D-don't kill me, but the reason I've been ignoring it is because I can't get past the first few pages! They bore me so! *wails*

John Egbert STOP FOLLOWING ME EVERYWHERE YOU CREEPY DOLLSSSSS ARRRUUGHGHAUIGAHS

Steph Sinclair Mello wrote: "D-don't kill me, but the reason I've been ignoring it is because I can't get past the first few pages! They bore me so! *wails*"

Persistence! They bored me too, but the rest of the book more then makes up for it. Trust us!!! You will not be disappointed. :)

John Egbert J-just get Cill to stop posting her creepy doll pictures and I'll read it! I swear I will! *falls to knees and grovels*

Steph Sinclair Cillian wrote: "
Then we will have to make you love us...

"

OMFG, Cill! That thing is creepy as hell.

Steph Sinclair Mello wrote: "J-just get Cill to stop posting her creepy doll pictures and I'll read it! I swear I will! *falls to knees and grovels*"

Peer pressure...peer pressure...peer pressure....

John Egbert You've pressured well, this is numero uno on my to reads list! Well almost next.

Steph Sinclair Mello wrote: "You've pressured well, this is numero uno on my to reads list! Well almost next."

Good.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

...'Cause we'll be watching...Lol.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Snape is actually rather intimidating...ehehehe...

I would never lie! No need to watch me so closely, eh?

*slowly inches away*

Haleema Mellow, I just lost all respect for you.

YOU BETTER LIKE THIS BOOK!

*goes crazy*

message 12: by John (last edited Oct 17, 2011 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert description

Why is everyone so intent on scaring poor Mello to death?

I'll read it! I'll like it! I will! I will! Just don't hurt me!

Haleema *calms down* Alrighty. I'll take your word, Mello. I'll take your word...

message 14: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Jeesh, you act like I was the one threatening and scaring others! I was only defending myself, yeah.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa You should definitely read this now that you've Hades. You need a good angel book to restore your faith in the ability of YA writers to not screw everything up.

message 16: by Steph (last edited Oct 17, 2011 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph Sinclair Yes, read this then read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. So far it's really good! I'm so happy there are a few good angel books out there now.

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing...

Steph Sinclair Mello wrote: "Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing..."

Oh, yes, Mello. Unearthly, Angel Burn and now Daughter of Smoke and Bone are the best angel books so far.

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Mello wrote: "Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing..."

I won't say the mythology is perfect but I think that Cynthia Hand handles angels really well. Of course, it's part of a trilogy so there's still time to screw it up, but I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't.

Steph Sinclair Lisa wrote: "Mello wrote: "Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing..."

I just need me some more of you-know-who!

**I can't add spoilers 'cause Mello clicks them and I won't reveal anything!!!!

message 21: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Hm...alright you've convinced me. I'll put on my happy face and optimism!

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Stephanie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mello wrote: "Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing..."

Lemme guess....more of this Tucker fellow? I've heard of him enough to know, yeah. lol, everyone keeps gushing over him. Is he really that badass?

Steph Sinclair Mello wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mello wrote: "Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing..."

I won't say the mythology is perfect but I think that Cynthia Hand han..."

The fun part of the book was finding out about him as a love interest. I swear I didn't see it coming until it was happening. I think that's mostly because the MC didn't pay much attention to him. I wouldn't call him badass per say, but he is swoon worthy. And it takes a lot to make me swoon. Lol.

message 24: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Ahaha! Swoon worthy. Now I have to check this out, just to see if it's true :)

message 25: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Stephanie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mello wrote: "Wait, this could restore my faith in angels of YA?

My skepticism is showing..."

I agree. :) Team Tucker all the way.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS?

message 27: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Uhmm....no good reason, actually...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

THAT'S NOT A GOOD ENOUGH EXCUSE. DO IT. RIGHT NOW.

message 29: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert O-okay!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Goooooood. *is satisfied. bloodlust dies down*

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

message 32: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Egbert Kelly wrote: ""

Errr...