Kelly's Reviews > Gods Behaving Badly

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips

Apr 04, 08

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy-and-scifi, wits-and-fools, owned, 21st-century
Read in April, 2008

This was indeed Fluff with a capital F. For most of the novel, the pages flipped over like the wind was turning them. It wasn't that it was that suspenseful or anything, it was just such easy, frothy reading that it just fell through your fingers without you really noticing. It did get a bit heavy in the middle, but probably appropriately so, given events. That was the only time it dragged a little.

Essentially: Think of this like a whipped cream dessert version of American Gods. Same basic concept: old gods, people don't believe anymore, powers being lost. Then a Regular Joe human (in this case, its two humans- who have a romance plot that drives the action) is thrown into the mix and makes his/her bewildered way through this world they thought was fake to find themselves and the truth, etc, etc.

Only, its taken very literally, and set kind of into the format of an old Greek legend. Which is fitting because this book is about the Greek gods of legend being transplanted into modern day London, where they've supposedly lived since the years of the Renaissance. (The Gods speak in modern day British cant. Which is odd, but I got over it.) And they hadn't quite figured out why they were losing their powers yet. Its sort of a fun little look into Greek mythology for people who've never experienced it before. The book gives you all the information you need to know about the gods, if you've never come across them before. Of course, if you have, its all the funnier. The book definitely raids all the characteristics of the old legends.

Good times. Recommended for a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods Behaving Badly.

Quotes Kelly Liked

“Hello," She said.
There was a long silence.
"Hello," said Artemis again.
"Are you talking to me?" said the tree. It had a faint Australian accent.
"Yes," said Artemis. "I am Artemis." If the tree experienced any recognition, it didn't show it. "I'm the goddess of hunting and chastity," said Artemis.
Another silence. The the tree said, "I'm Kate. I work in mergers and acquisitions for Goldman Sachs."
"Do you know what happened to you, Kate?" said Artemis.
The longest silence of all. Artemis was just about to repeat the question when the tree replied.
"I think I've turned into a tree," it said.
"Yes," said Artemis. "You have."
"Thank God for that," said the tree. "I thought I was going mad."
Then the tree seemed to reconsider this. "Actually," it said, "I think I would rather be mad." Then, with hope in its voice: "Are you sure I haven't gone mad?"
"I'm sure," said Artemis. "You're a tree. A eucalyptus. Subgenus of mallee. Variegated leaves."
"Oh," said the tree.
"Sorry," said Artemis.
"But with variegated leaves?"
"Yes," said Artemis. "Green and Yellow."
The tree seemed pleased. "Oh well, there's that to be grateful for," it said.”
Marie Phillips, Gods Behaving Badly

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I've got this on my list, as well, unsurprisingly :)

Kelly Shocking.

Kelly I don't think its really meant to be anything more. Fan-fic for Classical legend fans. :)

Scott This review is spot on.

message 5: by Harold (new)

Harold I haven't read this book but reading about it made me wonder if it owes anything to "The Nightlife of the Gods" by Thorne Smith. This was an early 30s book - a comedy - that I read a years ago. I went online and ordered a copy for a reread. Smith also wrote the Topper books. The Ava Garder movie "One Touch of Venus" was loosely based on "Nightlife" and the tv series "Bewitched" was based on Smith's work.

David Great review. I have reccomended it to anyone who loves to read in the bath with a glass of wine.

Kelly That sounds about perfect. Although I think a bath with a glass of wine sounds about perfect anyway, book or not. :)