Ruby's Reviews > Storm's Heart

Storm's Heart by Thea Harrison

Jul 17, 2011

bookshelves: faeries

This review was first posted on http://www.rubysreads.com.

I was starry-eyed about this book from the moment I read Tricks and Tiago's first on screen interaction in Dragon Bound. I knew they were going to be a combustible couple and I wasn't wrong. They bicker up until the last minute, but it's bickering layered with centuries of affection. It's also the bickering of two people who have always been attracted to each other but never in the same place long enough to do anything about it. The death of Tricks' uncle (which happened at the end of Dragon Bound) flings them together with a force that's plenty strong enough to light the fire inferno between them. Unfortunately, it could also be the thing that could keep them apart.
Though Tricks (who quickly reverts to her given name, Niniane) and Tiago have known each other for a couple of centuries, they've never had much to do with one another. Tiago revels in conflict, so he's usually away from New York, fighting Wyr battles and such. Tiago is also old as dirt, and so powerful that he's been mistaken for a god at least once in his long life. Niniane is somewhat younger, but no spring chicken (she won't see two hundred again), making the pair refreshingly adult. In contrast to Tiago's dour battle-honed demeanor, Niniane likes clothes, makeup, shoes and fashion magazines. After the death of her family, she fled to Dragos (the hero of Dragon Bound, and the Wyr leader) for safety, and embraced the human way of life. Now, with the death of her uncle, she's forced to return not just to live among the Fey, but to rule them. It's easy to empathize with Niniane's desire to forget ruling the dark Fae and just live a normal life.
Niniane was the star of this book for me because she was feminine without being helpless. Due to her small stature, she's not really a physical match for her enemies, but that doesn't mean she lays down and dies at the first sign of trouble. During her years with Dragos and his sentinels (of whom Tiago was one), they taught her how to fight using her size as an advantage. She's also just a sweetheart--you know you'd love her if you met her in real life because she has alluring charisma that pulls you in.
Tiago I was less enamored of. I know that, to a certain degree, this is purposeful on Harrison's part--Niniane's the people-person--but while I liked Tiago's alpha personality, I still loved Dragos more. They have a lot of similarities--It's fun to watch heroes this alpha struggle to accommodate their heroines--but Tiago often felt like a pale comparison of Dragos. There were some awfully sweet moments where Tiago discovers an interest in a certain part of Niniane's wardrobe, and when he takes care of her when she's injured that were tenderly sweet. In the end, though, Tiago doesn't really exhibit much personality beyond the warrior, the bodyguard and protector. Niniane will have to turn to someone else for conversation and--worse--laughter. Never a good sign.
The next book in this series is Rune and Carling's, the vampire queen introduced in Storm's Heart. I'm pretty psyched about it, and I'm hoping we'll be able to touch bases with Dragos and Pia and Tiago and Niniane. I adore this world. Thea Harrison rocks my face off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm's Heart.