Anne's Reviews > Sailing to Sarantium

Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay

F_50x66
Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction

I'd give this book 2.5 stars. It is very readable and goes along quickly, but like some other readers I felt like asking, "What is the point?" I do want to read the sequel because that will probably help clarify my feelings for the book. I'm giving the book 3 stars because I do want to read the sequel.

I also agree that this book is more historical fiction than fantasy. The only elements that seem fantastical are the mechanical birds and the two moons.

The most interesting questions for me in the book were about spirituality. I enjoyed reading about how in the West God was portrayed as a handsome approachable young man with light hair and blue eyes and in the East he was portrayed as more of a stern judge. Then there is how the "barbarian tribes" imagined God-not humanlike at all, sometimes cruel, but unavoidable and very powerful with a strong sense of balance. That is another reason I tipped the scales to 3 stars instead of 2-those questions have stuck with me a while after I finished the book.

This book reminded me a lot of the YA series The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, but that series is better-more interesting characters, stronger plot, better writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sailing to Sarantium.