Giselle's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: ebook, paranormal
Read from September 25 to 27, 2011

Lovely!! I really, really enjoyed this. It's a YA novel, but somehow it felt very different. For once, it wasn't just about the paranormal aspect, or the exciting new world the protagonist is thrown in. It was about finding oneself. Trying to fit in. Finding love. Life (with wings!)!! Everything I was hoping for while going into this.

Clara is part angel, and she has just received a hint of what her purpose on earth is. After finding out the location, they pack up and move there. It's quite a big change for Clara and her brother: California to the middle of nowhere, hick town. I loved the setting of this book. I loved the scenery descriptions. The country appeal. I'm a country girl myself - not as hardcore (I don't ride horses or fish) but it still had the small town charm that I grew up in. Everyone is in everyone's business knows everyone else, it's sweet!

The whole time I was reading I was completely into the story. I never once pondered where we were going with this and what the point of it all was. It just had a great flow that you could just breeze through the story and enjoy every minute of it. The plot of soft and sweet. It's not tedious, it's not a hit in the face, it builds up gently and manages to suck you in completely. You get a chance to care for the characters, for their lives and their relationships.

As for the characters. I adored them. Especially the way they were all present. They all had a purpose in the story and they all had distinct voices and personalities. I love when an author manages to do that. What really stood out for me was the fact that her mother was very present and motherly - which is often overlooked in YA. Likewise, her brother was also how I imagine having a brother would be like. Sometimes a pain in the butt, sometimes an accomplice. I imagine we haven't heard the end of him as well. But the protagonist - Clara - she's great! Finally a girl who does not see a guy and immediately yearns for him as though she can't live another second without him. Those often lack way too much chemistry. The romance in Unearthly was totally and completely sweet! It did NOT go at all in the direction I was sure Hand was going to go make it go in. It really took me by surprise that she took a much different route from other YA novels. I truly enjoyed how it all transpired.

The highlight of this book is definitely the character development with just a bit of world build up. The angel picture I have in my mind is absolutely stunning. I loved all the details we were given and how beautiful it all seems. as for the plot - there wasn't any big plot developments, but it's coming. I'm happy she didn't go all "Whoo apocalypse" right away. I love getting to know and care for the characters before the big story materializes. It builds up realism as well as charisma.

This novel was pure flowing beauty!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Comments (showing 1-16)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Giselle I need something well rated after these last books... Please don't be crappy!

Jessica Absolutely no crappiness in this read, Giselle. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!

Giselle I decided on Smoke and Bone first but this'll be next.

Megan Hope you enjoy this one :)

message 12: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Hope you love this one, Giselle!

Giselle So far I'm really enjoying it. I love the Angel lore and the realism behind it. Lots of details. :)

message 10: by Megan (last edited Sep 26, 2011 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Giselle wrote: "So far I'm really enjoying it. I love the Angel lore and the realism behind it. Lots of details. :)"

Yay! This is one of my favorites from this year! It's so much better than a lot of the YA paranormal books out there. Looking forward to your review :)

message 9: by Micheline (new) - added it

Micheline Awesome, just added it to the ever-growing 'to-read' list. Great review!

Wendy Darling Yay, I'm so glad you liked this, Giselle!

So. Team Christian or Team Tucker?

Giselle Yay Micheline j'crois tu va aimé ca!

Giselle Oh Wendy I'm so torn!! AT this point I'd have to say Team Tucker. I love his ways. He's so gentlemanly and sweet. Christian has that cliché ex-girlfriend bit. But I still really like both. The love triangle was so well played. One of the best in all the YA I've ever read.

Lisa O. I agree.
Still, Team Tucker.

Dija Love the review, Giselle, and I'm so happy you liked this book. :D

Giselle Thanks! I'm really curious what the rest of the series will be like.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I loved this. No stalkerish boyfriends, great setting, fantastic characters.

♥Rachel♥ I adored this one as well, Giselle. Great review. :) I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't go as expected in so many ways. I also loved that the mother was very present and a good role model.