Aubrey's Reviews > Kushiel's Mercy

Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey

Jul 14, 08

Recommended for: romantic/epic fantasy readers
Read in July, 2008

Warning, contains spoilers

Overall, not her best book but entertaining, thought provoking and action packed. I kept hoping that she'd do something really different with the end of the book this time---instead of everyone ending up with a happy ending, perhaps the war would've taken place and then, when Ysandre eventually lost, that she, Drustan and the ensorcelled Sidonie would have been ferried over to Alba---OR, what if the stone was never found, L'Envers and Alais lost the war and Imriel went mad--finis---(See paragraph below about the rumor) but what if Imriel wrote his story out and then a few hundred years later it was found by someone who eventually finds the stone or goes on a journey to find out how to end the effects of the stone--this character could be someone who attends the magic academy that Alais would have founded on Alba---I don't know, something different---I'm getting a little tired of these endings where everything works out for the main characters---because it gets boring after a while and makes me less eager to read the next book, honestly.

I've heard a rumor that Jacqueline Carey will continue the series but that the next trilogy will begin a few hundred years after the end of this book---so, I'd be interested to see what she does with that---I have a feeling that the magic academy is going to have something to do with it----smart move, she can use the same world, change the characters and the focus while going deeper into the world she's already created---I also think that this keeps it interesting for her as an author as she will get the chance to explore different ideas.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Mercy.