nimrodiel's Reviews > Parable of the Sower

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Mar 25, 08

bookshelves: 2008-books-read, bookcrossing-books, controlled-release, 2012-books-read, audiobooks, reread
Recommended to nimrodiel by: LovemyLife
Read in March, 2008

Wow, I have been having people tell me for years, that I should read this author's writing. When she past away a year or two back I intended to read something she had written, but somehow managed not to, until now. I was blown away by the lyricalness of the included Earthseed poetry and drawn in by the starkness ond richness of this imagined futeure of the US.

I love these post appocolyptic future type books best out of the sci-fi genre. I love seeing how the different authors immagine how society will change (for good or bad), in the future due to population growth, degeneration of the government, war, ect. In this book, the marked difference between the poor, and those who have a little to live on, and the rich combined with the advancement of a drug (pyro) that turns it's users into happy pyromaniacs burning down city and wilderness alike has turned California into a war zone of sorts.

The only thing I'm not happy with, is that I didn't know this was the first book in a two part series. So now, I'm left wanting to know more about the fledgling Earthseed community, and I don't have the book to start right away.

See where this book travels next. at: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parable of the Sower.