Anne Osterlund's Reviews > The Fool's Girl

The Fool's Girl by Celia Rees

Jul 20, 11

Violetta has a story to tell—about the magic of the sea, enchanted relics, and the terror of a city being sacked. A story that just might even grip the greatest storyteller of all. Will Shakespeare.
At least it might if she—and her savior, Feste the clown—play their cards right.

But will their story be gripping enough to keep Violetta alive? With so many people out to kill her?

Celia Rees has a wonderful writing style. Enough drama and danger to get you hooked. Vivid detail. And prose so smooth you forget you’re reading historical fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fool's Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hayden I didn't really enjoy this book very much. I thought it was really shapeless. What did you see in it? I guess hte author was pretty good, as far as her writing style.

Anne Osterlund I love her writing style, and her historical detail (esp. the depiction of the mystical woman in Illyria). I also liked Will's role within the story--how the author blended the fantastical from Twelfth Night with real historical detail of the time period). Plus I like Feste. I thought his relationship with Violetta was the most intriguing, and I was glad the book ended on that note. Plus, I am just flat-out a Shakespeare fan. Though Twelfth Night isn't my favorite. I'm much more a Tempest, Hamlet, & Taming of the Shrew fan.

Hayden wrote: "I didn't really enjoy this book very much. I thought it was really shapeless. What did you see in it? I guess hte author was pretty good, as far as her writing style."