Laura (Booksforbreakfast)'s Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 18, 2011

This book was different and interesting. I'm so glad I can finally read and watch reviews on it so I don't spoil myself. ;] The beginning of this book was great, and the early middle (does that make sense?) was a little boring, but the ending was spectacular! The perfect amount of suspense and action.

The main character named Jacob who has a strong bond with his grandfather. He's been told these fairy tales about an orphanage he used to live at. Something happens to his grandfather and he is left with a few clues and an island to try and discover the mysteries behind his life. He bites off a little bit more than he can chew when he arrives.

What I loved most about the book is the photographs dispersed in the book every once in a while. I'm a very visual person and loved them! I also loved that they were real photographs collected by private owners and we're touched up much.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is Jacob doesn't sound like a teenager and the descriptions were a little bit wordy. I felt like he could've shaved 100 pages off the book. I would've liked Jacob to be a bit more like a teen boy and not this overly educated individual.

This book was charming, scary, and absolutely breathtaking and whimsical. Excited for the next one!
51 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Nice review! I can't wait to read this one!

message 2: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Thanks for this great review!

Maribel I'm reading this because of your review!

message 4: by Mia (new)

Mia You discribed it in a fantasticly awesomely cool way! You are making me read it now! im only on page 26 so thank you for giving this great review!

Bonnie Completely agree with you about ignoring the negative reviews! I found this book to be delightful too. I don't read YA books in general but this is one book I'm glad that I took a chance on and was pleasantly surprised.

Christina Yeah, I kept picturing him to be around 11 or 12.

Maxine Deibele I loved this book, and I felt that you could relate with him wanting to know more